The Home of Music Instruments & Sewing Machines.
We at B.S. Chanan Singh & Sons are now a fourth generation family business, sincerely and proudly serving the people of Himachal Pradesh since 1919
In the late 1880’s S.Banna Singh Ji moved out of the plains of Punjab for a greener pasture to Shimla,the then summer capital of British India and started working as a piano repairer and tuner with a piano/musical instrument store owned by one Mr.Keggi, which was located somewhere near the present Railway Board Building may be in Dalziel Estate Simla. As time passed by S.Banna Singh Ji settled in Simla with his family, his eldest son went on to become Suptt. Incharge of Toshekhana and was awarded title Sardar Sahib in 1934 for his meritorious services. S.Chanan Singh following his father footsteps started repairing musical instruments.
By the end of year 1910-11 they planned to start their own venture at Lower bazaar, Shimla in the building owned by Lala Ajudhia Dass ji with the name M/s Banna Singh and Sons which was further changed to M/s Banna Singh Chanan Singh in the year 1919 and later when in the year 1949 S.Banna Singh ji breathed his last S.Chanan Singh solely took over the charge of this business and the shop was rechristened as M/s B.S. Chanan Singh ,having very cordial & pleasing nature and sincerity to his profession became popular among music lovers both amateur and professionals.
Before Independence a very close friend of S.Chanan Singh, an aged Muslim blacksmith by profession having his workshop in Jama Masjid building, Lower Bazaar, Shimla suggested him to start dealing in sewing machines of which he also had a brief knowledge. It was mere coincidence that most of the music lovers were artisans as well and this peculiar combination of Musical instruments and Sewing Machines under one roof came into existence.
After the untimely death of S. Chanan Singh on 3rd June 1961, following a heart problem the reins of the business were handled by his wife Sardarni Surjeet Kaur, her bold stand and right decisions kept the family and the shop in motion during the difficult phase. Ably supported by the then staff members Sh. Partap Chand, Sh. Jiwanlal & Sh. Sukh Ram.
The present organizer S.Gurcharan Singh took over the complete charge of the business after completing his schooling in the year 1965 from The Harcourt Butler Higher Secondary School,(Now known as Kendriya Vidyalaya) Shimla.
During this period own brands of JIWAN and SEMBI (domestic and Industrial machines) were introduced besides SHAN sewing machines agency. The reliable and efficient services and sincerity yielded results thus multiplying the business. The main emphasis being customer satisfaction,sincere dealing and full after sale services made us popular and synonym with in the area for these requirements.
In the year 1990 with the kind patronage and parental support by Lala Tara Chand Sud ji and Biji owners of the business premises, the accommodation was doubled by getting the adjoining shop.
With the increase of business, the need for more workers and staff arose. At this hour of need, Mrs.Inderjeet Kaur, better half of S.Gurcharan Singh joined as a helping hand and became a pillar of support for the business. She looked into the accounting side of the business besides working at the workshop when required. Till date she is active in business equally distributing her time between family and other society ventures.
Time passed and the patronage increased, which led to the fourth generation to join the business. The eldest son, S.Manpreet Singh joined the business after completing his graduation in business administration.
We are indeed grateful to Almighty for the blessings, all our patrons and music lovers for their unending support, love and affection that has helped us to achieve this milestone.